VORtech regularly provides bespoke Fortran courses at a client's offices. These bespoke courses are tailored to the client's needs. Based on these courses VORtech developed a general Fortran course.
VORtech developed a 3-day Fortran course, which is developed together with AT Computing, part of Vijfhart IT-opleidingen. The course material is in English. The course is presented by a native Dutch speaker who is also fluent in English.
What to expect?
- Syntax, operators, basic I/O, flow control
- Functions, subroutines, modules, libraries; pure, elemental, internal subprograms
- Conversions, precision and NaN
- Derived types
- Variable scope
- Dynamic memory allocation and pointers
- Shallow and deep copies
- Object-oriented Fortran
- Interfaces: abstract, generic
- ISO C binding
- Performance essentials
This is a 3-day course, costing 1635 euro.
To join this course, you can contact VORtech, AT Computing or Vijfhart IT-opleidingen.
Fortran + OpenMP Course
As an example of a bespoke course that VORtech has organized: a few years ago, we trained one of our clients who was making the step from Fortran 77 to more modern Fortran.
For their audience of Fortran-developing scientists and contractors, VORtech presented a short course highlighting the differences between several Fortran versions and showing how the associated benefits can be leveraged:
- Free format source and language changes
- Data types: portable precision, the new arrays, types and pointers
- Commonly used new functionality: where, forall, case and do
- Modules, subroutines and interfaces
- Object-oriented programming
In addition, due to the performance intensive nature of that client’s software, the usage of OpenMP was introduced. Immediately after the aforementioned course, VORtech presented a short course titled “Shared memory parallelization using OpenMP”. This course was based on a piece of example Fortran source code, which was optimized using multiple, seperate approaches, using e.g. threads, a worksharing construct, tasks and minimization of false sharing.